Video bài nghe Market Leader Advanced – Unit 9: Strategy – HocHay
Xem thêm từ vựng tiếng Anh theo chủ đề tại: https://hoctuvung.hochay.com/
Cùng HocHay học tiếng Anh Market Leader Advanced các bạn nhé!
Market Leader Advanced – Unit 9: Strategy – Listening
A. Listen to the first part of an interview with Marjorie Scardino, CEO of Pearson, the international media group, and improve the summary by adding five or six more details. Use one to five words per detail.
Pearson has always been devoted to content, so, for example, a child can use interactive tools. Pearson starts with the premise that the company has to communicate what it is. Chief Executive Marjorie Scardino believes organisations have a strong company culture. Whenever necessary, she personally writes to all staff in Pearson. Management also makes an effort to communicate in a transparent way so that every one of the company’s employees understands.
Pearson has always been devoted to high-quality or digital / digitally-enabled content, so, for example, a child can study math(s) using interactive tools. Pearson starts with the premise that the company has to communicate what its goals and values are. Chief Executive Marjorie Scardino thinks the best organisations have a strong company culture. Whenever it’s necessary, she personally writes to all staff in Pearson via the Internet I e-mail. Management also makes an effort to communicate in a transparent way, so that every one of the company’s (35,000) employees understands.
B. Listen to the second part of the interview. How does Pearson communicate its goals? Write a summary.
Pearson’s goal is to help individuals make some progress in their lives through education. This goal enables people to do something larger than themselves and is part of a ‘bigger thinking’ strategy. The Chief Executive says the exciting strategies are those that might influence people or schools. She adds that Pearson’s strategy is about how you deliver education in a personalised way, that is accessible to everyone. (66words)
C. Choose the correct word to make a partnership related to strategy with each word in bold.
1. digital businesses / bubble
2. international expansion / world
3. financial debt / position
4. geographic industries / diversity
5. wider competitors / markets
6. challenged economies / profits
7. strong position / change
8. fast-moving diversity / world
D. Listen to four people talking about companies they admire. How has each company been successful, according to the speakers?
1. Admires the chipmaker Intel for its innovation, e.g. smaller, faster, more powerful chips. Every year, their goal is to introduce new cutting-edge products. Intel calls it its ‘tick-tock’ strategy.
2. Admires the Spanish supermarket Mercadona, which offers fresh produce at competitive prices. Its business strategy is called ALP- Always Low Prices. The speaker is also impressed by the way they treat employees, e.g. staff are always friendly and helpful and there doesn’t seem to be a high staff turnover.
3. Admires Toyota cars, because of their production system of producing ‘perfect goods’. He adds they’re the most reliable cars, especially for long distances. Other vehicles he’s driven have broken down and have had to be towed.
4. Admires H&M, because they offer customers the latest fashions at affordable prices. The strategy involves regular quality controls, and manufacturing clothes with the least possible impact on the environment. They have a cost-conscious strategy of buying in large volume and limiting the number of middlemen. They also work with top designers.
Ứng dụng học tiếng Anh – App HocHay cho Android & iOS
Writing Market Leader Advanced – Unit 9: Strategy – HocHay
A. Look at parts of some mission statements (a-f) and match them to the organisations (1-6). Which ones do you think are the best and most creative?
|1. Avis||a) To fight poverty with passion and professionalism for lasting results|
|2. Google||b) We will ensure a stress-free car-rental experience by providing superior services that cater to our customers’ individual needs.|
|3. Procter & Gamble||c) To protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance|
|4. Microsoft||d) To organise the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful|
|5. International Committee of the Red Cross||e) We will provide branded products and services of superior quality and value that improve the lives of the world’s consumers.|
|6. The World Bank||f) To help people and businesses throughout the world realise their full potential|
B. Identify four criteria for writing mission statements based on this extract.
How to develop a mission statement
Mission: Why you do what you do; the organisation’s reason for being, its purpose. Says what, in the end, you want to be remembered for.
Changing the mission – or creating an organisation’s first mission statement – is a process of gathering ideas and suggestions for the mission and honing them into a short, sharply focused phrase that meets specific criteria. Peter Drucker says the mission should ‘fit on a T-shirt’, yet a mission statement is not a slogan. It is a precise statement of purpose. Words should be chosen for their meaning rather than beauty, for clarity over cleverness. The best mission statements are in plain speech with no technical jargon and no adornments. Like the mission statement of Google – To organise the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful – they come right out and say something. In their brevity and simplicity is power.
An effective mission statement should:
• define the purpose of the organisation
• say what we want to be remembered for
• be short and sharply focused
• be clear and simple/easily understood.
Other tips nat mentioned in the text but suggested by Peter Drucker:
• An effective mission statement should also:
• provide direction for doing the right things
• match the organisation’s competence
• inspire commitment among members in the organisation.
HOCHAY.COM – nhận thông báo video mới nhất từ Học Hay: Học Tiếng Anh Dễ Dàng
Subscribe Youtube Channel | Youtube.com/HocHay
Follow Fanpage Facebook | Facebook.com/HocHayco
#hochay #hoctienganh #hocanhvanonline #luyenthitienganh #hocgioitienganh #apphoctienganh #webhoctienganh #detienganhonline #nguphaptienganh #tienganhthuongmai #marketleader
CÔNG TY CỔ PHẦN GIÁO DỤC HỌC HAY
Trụ sở cơ quan: Số 145 Lê Quang Định, phường 14, quận Bình Thạnh, thành phố Hồ Chí Minh.
Điện thoại: 028.35107799
KẾT NỐI VỚI CHÚNG TÔI
TẢI ỨNG DỤNG TRÊN ĐIỆN THOẠI